Friday, July 16, 2010

Tool 4: Google Docs and Google Reader

I really enjoyed reading about and watching videos on Google Docs. I made up a field trip suggestion/planning doc and sent it to one of my PLN friends, Francisco. What I liked the most is that the docs allows students to collaborate on poems, stories, plays, videos, movies, and so many other projects. Thinking comes naturally for students when they are invited to build on each other even if they are miles away and no one has to wait on anyone. I can see us as teachers using Google docs for lesson planning, road maps, newsletters, school events, field study trips, etc. High frequency words and numbers on flash cards created on Google docs come to mind then adding them to Ipod touches provided the students are familiar with them. I also see writing their daily news and dictations for home literacy practice and for sharing our classroom ideas too.
Google Reader makes it easier to narrow down personal interests and I really like how I can see their comments all at once. I set up my Google Reader and I'm following Amigos del Salon 12, Education is the Key to a Good Future, Urban Garden Casual, Using Technology to Teach, and Yoga Poses and Workouts That's Fit. By viewing the teacher's comments, I can find it easy to relate to them and see their perspectives as they work through the tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment